“John is a talented designer—very quick to comprehend and internalize new concepts and technical subject materials—bringing tremendous value to strategy development.”—Erica Kochi & Chris Fabian, UNICEF
“John is a pleasure to work with. He offers that rare mix of creativity and pragmatism, championing user experience through the creative process.”—Stuart Johnston, Director at Atto Partners
I am a highly motivated, entrepreneurial designer with a proven history of academic and professional excellence, with over 5 years‘ experience running a successful owner-managed business. I also have considerable team experience and strong leadership skills built on involvement in academic, commercial, volunteer and artistic projects.
UNICEF Innovation Unit
May 2012–Aug 2012
Designer working with UNICEF's influential Innovation Unit: I designed a strategic framework for UNICEF's global AIDS strategy. Frog Design used it as the basis for a workshop at the 2012 Global AIDS Conference.
Indepedent Software Partnership
Founding Partner, Lead Designer. Along with my business partner, Padraig Kennedy, we created several successful Mac applications, including: Mountee, a popular web development tool used by leading web agencies (Happy Cog, Blue State Digital), and, Picturescue, a photo-recovery app for iOS devices. While conception and product design were shared tasks, I was solely responsible for the branding, artwork, interface design and websites for our products.
Life Forms Design
Dec 2005–Sept 2011
Owner and Creative Director of a small creative studio working with people, pixels and print. Initially founded as a one-man studio, I later led teams of freelancers, providing creative direction, user-experience strategy, and implementing design solutions (web/digital, branding, print). I managed all client-relations, new business generation, and front-end development. I worked with over 100 clients from Ireland, UK, Europe and USA, including:
Sep 2003–Aug 2005
In-house designer: I developed a new brand for the organisation, and provided ongoing art-direction and design for all web, print and live event materials.
July 2003–Aug 2005
Web designer. I contributed to range of health industry web-applications and websites as a designer and front-end developer.
Art Center College of Design
Sept 2011 — April 2013
Media Design Practices MFA Candidate
Dublin City University
2001 — 2005
B.Sc. Multimedia, 1st Class Honours. (2nd Highest Student in Year)
Wesley College, Dublin
1994 — 2000
Leaving Certificate in English, Irish, French, Math, Geography, Physics, Technical Drawing. (All at Higher Level)
- Awarded one of three 2013 Thesis Scholarships, Art Center College of Design
- 2012 DesignMatters Summer Fellowship recipient, Art Center College of Design
- 2011—2013 Media Design MFA Merit Scholarship, Art Center College of Design
- Competition-winning interactive digital art installations with Hyperion Project digital artists‘ collective.
- Co-created Mountee software used by leading web agencies (Happy Cog, Blue State Digital).
- Extensive overseas travel in Europe, US, Canada, South America, Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
- Co-lead volunteer team to Chile with Habitat for Humanity (2005).
- Conception and management of week long inner city arts festival, Dublin, 2002.
- Head Boy (2000) and Best All-Round Boy (1999) award, Wesley College, Dublin, Ireland.
Business, academic and personal references available upon request.
+1 626 560 8928
601B N Holliston Ave,
Pasadena, CA 911006